Workshop Supply List




Welcome! I am excited to have you join my virtual workshop. I look forward to sharing with you. Now is the time to gather your supplies and get ready for class to begin. I am sharing a list of suggested supplies. These are only suggestions. I will be using these supplies in my demos (not these particular pastels. I will be using my set of Floral Landscape Terry Ludwig pastels. See the photo below if you wish to match the colors)  There is no need to purchase anything for the workshop. Feel free to use what you have. I will be available by email to answer your supply questions. karenmargulis@gmail.com

  • Selection of your favorite pastels. Be sure you have a variety of values including colorful darks and lights. You also need some grayed colors along with the pure intense colors. Don't worry if you don't have a large pastel collection! Remember the cavemen painted with charcoal and dirt! If you are new to pastels and have a limited collection consider supplementing your pastels with a set of hard pastels such as Nupastels. These inexpensive pastel sticks will help expand your collection.


  • Paper. Have available several pieces of your preferred paper in a variety of sizes from 5x7 up to 11x14. Plan on using at least 2-5 pieces of paper available. UArt paper is my preferred paper and works well for wet underpainting. LaCarte paper will not work for some of the techniques I will share. I’d rather you have more paper available than not enough!



  • Rubbing alcohol 70% and cup

  • Inexpensive brush for wet underpaintings

  •  Pencil for initial drawings

  • Blending tool. Anything to spread the pastel around. I use pipe insulation foam. Viva paper towels work well.

  • Grayscale markers for value thumbnails. I use three… a dark gray a middle value gray and a light gray. You can also use a pencil, charcoal pencil or pen. 

  • Index cards for thumbnails. I use the 3x5 inch size. 

  • Optional: Workable Fixative. I use Blair Very Low Odor workable fixative

REFERENCE PHOTOS: I prefer that you use your own reference photos for the workshop. I will be doing landscape demos. Gather some possible landscape photos for your painting exercises. I will provide a link to some of my reference photos that you may download and use if you don't have any of your own. The demos are NOT paint alongs so you will need to have reference photos available!



Here is a photo of the pastel set I will be using.  You don't need this set for the workshop! Use the pastels you have on hand. I am sharing this photo in case you would like to match what you have to these colors. If you do wish to purchase this set it is available on the Terry Ludwig website. 




No comments: